What is Docker!
Docker is a software platform that allows developers to create, deploy, and run applications in containers, which are lightweight and portable. Containers provide an isolated environment to run the application, along with all its dependencies and configuration, making it easier to build, test, and deploy applications across different environments. Docker also provides tools and features to manage containers, such as Docker Compose and Docker Registry.
Odoo is an open-source ERP software that can be run on Docker. Odoo provides its own Docker image, which supports the latest three versions of Odoo and is based on Debian.
However, there are some limitations
- No Compose YAML has been provided.
- PSQL installed within the odoo docker.
- Exposing direct ports.
- You will have to manage the Custom/Extra Addons manually.
- Installation of additional Python Lib or System packages is hard to manage.
Doodba is another Docker image maintained by Tecnativa, which provides a base for building Odoo projects.:
Doodba stands for Docker Odoo Base, and it is a highly opinionated image ready to put Odoo inside it, but without Odoo.
- It includes a docker-compose.yaml file.
- It includes the bundle of not only Odoo but also other needful dockers, etc, PSQL, MailHog, pgWeb.
- It also provides Odoo proxy docker which serves the purpose of proxy for odoo.
- Doodba also integrates with git-aggregator, which makes it easier to manage custom or extra addons, including the ability to specify the branch to checkout and mention PR patches or branch merges.
- The community is working hard to remove all the limitations so bugs and security patches or version updates are taken care of.
- A few limitations are there like. it is not default available for the master branch, but neither did Odoo Docker.
- Overhead for some extra dockers which might not be needed overtime. but you can always remove it from docker-compose file.
Stay tuned for our next post on how to working with Doodba! (call for action or newsletter subscription)